With funding from the EU-BMZ (Germany) Project: "Support to transboundary water cooperation in the Nile Basin", the Nile-SEC to advertise/employ services of a project staff (Regional Hydromet Coordinator For NEL region) who shall provide the operational management of the implementation of the hydromet system in the NEL region. The Regional Hydromet Coordinator will be stationed at the NELSAP-CU and closely work with Nile-SEC and LVBC and travel in the Nile Basin riparian countries and outside the Nile Basin as required.
II. Job Purpose/Scope
The purpose of employing the Regional Hydromet Coordinator is to ensure timely, coordinated and within budget implementation of the hydromet system in Nile Equatorial Lakes countries as per the finally agreed design and implementation plan. The Coordinator will provide strong technical expertise as well as project management support in the implementation of the hydromet system.
The regional coordinator will be responsible for delivering the outcome and output indicators of the EU-BMZ project that is the source of the funding:
III. Scope of work
- Implementation start-up activities:
As part of the start-up activities, the Nile-Sec intends to develop and an agreed upon operational plan with all NBI member countries and NBI centres for coordinated and smooth's implementation of the system. In this regard, the Regional Coordinator for NEL region shall:
- Updating the design specifications and implementation plan:
It is foreseen that the design specs and implementation plan prepared in 2015 will be revisited and, as required, updated to ensure that the design specs are compatible with current technologies and benefits from improvements in technologies as well as fully aligned to the national hydromet systems
- Procurement of consultants and contractors for implementation of the hydromet system
- Procurement, delivery and installation of hydromet equipment
- Basin monitoring Information products
- Carry out other tasks assigned by the DED/HBWP-WRM or his designate;
IV. Academic/Professional Qualification:
- At least M.Sc in water resources engineering, hydraulic engineering, hydrology, civil engineering (with specialization in hydrology or water resources) or closely related fields;
- Specialized training on hydro-meteorological monitoring systems design is a requirement;
V. Experience Required
- At least 6 years of hands-on experience with the design and implementation and management of hydro-meteorological systems;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience (after MSc) in river basin management, water resources management.
- Hands-on experience with WMO standards for hydrological and meteorological monitoring/practices is a significant advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in on-site implementation, configuration and operationalization of comparable hydrological monitoring equipment.
- Hands-on experience in remote sensing and GIS is advantage.
- Fluency in the English language is required; working knowledge of French is an added advantage.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills are a requirement.
VI. Duty Station:
The Regional Hydromet System Coordinator shall be contracted by Nile-SEC and seconded to the NEL region. S/He shall be stationed at NELSAP-CU and work closely with NBI centers and LVBC under the overall supervision of the DED-HBWP/WRM of the Nile-Sec.
VII. How to apply:
Full Terms of reference can be downloaded here
Application/cover letter indicating the title of the assignment accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae should reach the Executive Director not later than 12:00 pm (Local Time in Entebbe, Uganda) 2nd November, 2018. Please clearly indicate a minimum of three referees and two former employers excluding the current employer with their full contacts. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.