With funding from the EU-BMZ (Germany) Project: “Support to transboundary water cooperation in the Nile Basin”, the Nile-Sec is intends to hire the service of senior level water resources management specialist (Senior Water Resources Specialist).
The Senior Water Resources Management Specialist shall assist the Deputy Executive Director/Head of Basin-Wide Program and Water Resources Management (DED-HBWP/WRM) in the implementation of the work streams of the NBI Basin Wide Program. The job description for this position is given as follows:
Job Description (highlights)
- Under the guidance of the DED/Head of BWP-WRM, provide expertise and operational oversight in the implementation of the second phase of the strategic water resources;
- Provide technical expertise in water resources scenario analysis and planning;
- Provide technical oversight and operations level management on specific hydrology and water resources as well as climate change studies as required in supporting development of sustainable water resources planning and management in the NBI countries and across the Nile Basin.
- Support the conceptualization, planning and preparation of the Nile Basin water resources plans and investment program;
- Support the organization of workshops, trainings and experience exchange events planned as part of the strategic analysis process;
- Plan, organize and implement activities of the water resources related work streams of the Basin-Wide Program, including identification of strategic as well as operational priorities, and day to day supervision of implementation the program;
- Ensure that water resources team is well-informed, and oversight their personal development plans. Ensure timely finalization of staff development plan as per the guidance from the DED-HBWP/WRM;
- Support capacity development for NBI member countries in applying international best practice in water resources management
Academic/Professional Qualification: At least M.Sc (Ph.D. preferable) in water resources engineering, water resources planning and management, hydrology, civil engineering (with specialization in hydrology or water resources) or closely related fields;
Experience Required: At least ten (10) years (after MSc degree) relevant experience in water resources planning, including significant high-level experience in leading and managing integrated water resources management and basin planning processes; particularly in a shared river-basin management context.
Demonstrated experience in leading multi-disciplinary professional team (for at least 5 years) for water resources planning, management and development from a river basin perspective; Excellent understanding and proven ability in resource assessments and river flow simulation models for both policy development and operational purposes;
Duty Station: The Employee will be based at NBI Secretariat in Entebbe Uganda with possible travel within or out of the Basin Countries as may be deemed necessary by the Employer.
Period of Service: This is a regional position with an initial Contract duration of three years (with a probation period of six months) renewable annually based on satisfactory performance.
Complete ToRs for this position can be downloaded from here