With funding from the EU-BMZ (Germany) Project: “Support to transboundary water cooperation in the Nile Basin”, the Nile-Sec is intends to hire the service of a Water Resources Analyst. The Analyst shall provide practical analytic expertise using the Nile Basin Decision Support System in the implementation of the second phase of the strategic water resources analysis being undertaken by NBI Secretariat. The job description for this position is given as follows:
Job Description (highlights)
- Provide expertise and operational (hands-on) support to the strategic analysis being undertaken by the Nile-Sec.
- Source data from NBI countries and other credible global sources to update the baseline model and database of the first phase of the strategic analysis;
- Provide analytic/modelling support to projection of Municipal and Industrial water demands; irrigation water demands and analysis of options for water saving;
- Further develop the Nile Basin water resources model to integrate modules on hydro-economic optimization, dam cascade operation, climate change projections and other building blocks of the strategic water resources analysis.
- Work closely with consultants in the development of hydro-economic models and optimization modules for exploring options for economically efficient water use scenarios
- Using the Nile Basin Decision Support System (NB DSS), develop, simulate and evaluate scenarios of cooperative water resources management and development options;
- Using appropriate modeling tools linked to the DSS and other tools as needed, evaluate expected changes to the extent of major wetlands’ dynamics and their water balance under scenarios of water resources development and management developed as part of the second phase of the strategic analysis;
- Prepare and submit technical and progress reports regularly
- Prepare regular knowledge products to support stakeholder workshops and communication of results to decision makers and other stakeholders
- Support the Water Resources Management Team of the Nile Sec in conducting awareness raising, consultation and training workshops for its governance members, expert groups and national DSS team;
Academic/Professional Qualification: At least Masters level degree in water resources systems engineering, hydro-informatics, hydrology (with focus on water resources modelling) or closely related fields; PhD in relevant field preferable.
Experience Required: Seven (7) years of qualifying experience (after MSc degree) in river basin modelling, with focus on water balance modelling, water allocation, simulation of river-reservoir systems involving key water use systems (such as hydropower, irrigation), flood control benefits of regulation systems, rainfall-runoff modelling, climate change and optimization modeling.
Demonstrated very good expertise with the river basin system modeling software packages that are is used at Nile-Sec as core of the DSS for the strategic assessment: Mike HYDRO Basin is a requirement.
Knowledge of at least one other software for river basin system modeling used at Nile-Sec (preferable: RiverWare by CADSWES) and at least one physically based hydrology model (Mike SHE preferable) is a requirement.
Duty Station: The Analyst will be based at NBI Secretariat in Entebbe Uganda with possible travel within or out of the Basin Countries as may be deemed necessary by the Employer.
Period of Service: This is a regional position with a contract duration of two years (six months probation period) renewable annually based on satisfactory performance.
Complete ToRs for this position can be downloaded from here